Friday, May 20, 2011

Temptation and Weight Loss

My favorite personal finance blog, Get Rich Slowly, had a great post yesterday about temptation.  It proposes that humans only have a limited amount of self-discipline, and that this self-discipline will always run out!  When I read this post yesterday morning, I thought it didn't apply to me.  I thought "but I am good at breaking bad habits and starting good ones!"  Last night, however, was a pretty good example of getting weak in the face of temptation!

After my daughter's strings concert, my loved ones went out for onion rings and hot fudge sundaes.  Now I love both those things very much, and not eating either was outrageously difficult.  To make matters worse, I hadn't eaten regularly yesterday and neglected my own supper before the concert.  I ate exactly 1/2 of 1 small onion ring, and it was glorious, then reigned myself in on the forbidden foods.  What I did instead was over-eat on low-carb foods, to the point where I was overfull.  Now I don't think this is the right decision, but perhaps it was a better decision than eating a hot fudge sundae and onion rings.

Overall though, I felt my ability to resist temptation had failed me a bit, but not entirely.  I would love to be a person who can effortless reject harm-causing pleasure-bringing foods and habits, but I think I am a person who has to work very hard at it.  I don't know if "moderation" ever works for me, either.  I seem to be an abstinence kind of person, which is why I think I am having some success with Dukan. It makes me sad to think about hot fudge sundaes.  I miss them.  However, I think when I see some tangible results from the weight loss (like new clothes!), I won't miss hot fudge sundaes nearly as much.

2 comments:

  1. I was just posting about some of these very things! It's definitely not easy. In the past, the moment I "failed" I would give up the ghost and throw yet another diet out the window...obviously I wasn't going to be able to do it. What I do find keeps me going with this plan is the fact that it does recognize we're human, and not about to spend the next 50 years on the planet without a hot fudge sundae! Keep at it, AB! I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To lose weight, or maintain a healthy Easy weight loss tips, exercise is essential. Aim to do at least 30 minutes of moderate activity a day. Moderate activity includes activities such as brisk walking, swimming and ballroom dancing. If this sounds like too much, don't worry. You can split up your half hour into 10-minute slots during the day. Ten minutes three times a day is just as good as 30 minutes in one go. It's also important to not just focus on the amount of time spent working out, but on the intensity of the exercise.

    ReplyDelete