Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Week Report

In the first week of the Dukan Diet I went from 169 to 166.6, which is a loss of 2.4 pounds.  I was hungry some times, tired a lot, and weaker than usual.  My skin looked pretty great, however, and overall my moods were okay -- not as cranky as on some other diet regimes.   My stomach and face seem less puffy, which is the first thing to happen to me on a diet.  I discovered just how much I love vegetables, and also how much I am resistant to doing things "by the book."

I am at least content to know I am not one of those people who loses a ton of weight when starting a low carb diet.  Slow weight loss is okay.  It's better for the skin, for sure, because it gives it time to adapt, and probably better for overall health.  This week I'll be happy if I lose one pound and get down to somewhere like 165, which is a great number to see on the scale.   I've figured out for the most part my goals are to eat around 1500 calories, keep my carbs under 40 grams, and honor the pure protein/ protein and vegetable phases of the Dukan diet (with a little more fat than is called for in the way of more Omega 3 egg yolks, flax seed, olive oil, and some nuts or nut butter).   I am undecided about daily intake of oat bran. Could it be that what I am really doing is some strange hybrid of a Paleo diet with Dukan?  So confusing!

I found a great deal on a fifteen pound kettleball yesterday, so I am thinking I am not going to renew my expired gym membership and spend the summer doing home workouts if at all possible.  I might add some classes to this for fun, but I really love the idea of having the kind of routine a person can do in the backyard, or upon waking, that is regular, intensive, and efficient.

I'm on a two week break before summer school starts and trying to stay as far away from my normal responsibilities as possible, even to the extent of not being on facebook, twitter, or email.  I find this "relaxation" generates a lot of anxiety in me.  I am simply no good at it, even if my version of relaxation means working constantly toward personal goals.  I think it is a good thing I am on a diet right now, or I'd be eating through all this anxiety at a fast pace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment