Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Dukan Diet and Rabbit Starvation

I dropped almost another pound this morning!  My weight is now 164.4, which feels excellent. I have no idea how this is happening, and I know it probably won't continue at this rapid pace, but it is fun to see results.   Today is a P/V day, so I plan to do a lot of healthy eating.

RABBIT STARVATION 

If you do a little research on the Dukan Diet, you might run into the idea that anyone on the diet is at risk for the phenomenon called Rabbit Starvation:

a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients . . . Symptoms include diarrhea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and heart rate, and a vague discomfort and hunger.

Particularly worrying is that there have been some deaths in the past linked to low carb diets, and these almost always have some relationship to low carb diets which also severely restrict dietary fats.  The most famous example of this is the liquid protein deaths in the 70s.

The risk of rabbit starvation is the reason why it is important to either eat the daily oat bran and/or make sure to add some dietary fat to your intake of food.  This is why in my version of the diet I am making allowances for fats within my diet.   I am also taking my protein and vegetable days seriously.  While weight loss is important, rapid weight loss isn't a reason to jeopardize one's health.

The other reason I am adding dietary fat to my regime is that dietary fat is simply just good for you.  Omega 3 fatty acids in tuna and egg yolks, as well as the fat in olive oil and the small amount of fats in nuts keep the body (and mind) running efficiently.  Protein is good to a certain degree -- and certainly upping one's protein intake can help keep the muscles strong during weight loss -- but fat is great, even if it is calorie dense and should be used with some degree of restraint.   Besides, a little fat totally increases the quality of my culinary experience -- it makes the other limitations seem more acceptable, ultimately, to feel nourished by my food.  

1 comment:

  1. Best buy ever! I am 71 and had low expectations of losing the unwanted pounds. Within 6 weeks I had lost 20 pounds and as promised in the book, the weight has stayed off. The book is concise and easy to understand with no measuring or weighing. Just plenty to eat. Have recommended it to my friends who are amazed at my new healthy shape. You are never too old to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete