Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shirataki Noodles and the Dukan Diet

I was so happy this morning to wake up and see the scale at 165!  I love that number, and it is a lot closer to a healthy BMI (159) than where I started out altogether -- 172 (3 pounds of that was lost on Atkins induction).  I also started doing some kettlebell routines, but think I need to purchase a lighter one, as well.

SHIRATAKI NOODLES



Yesterday was a P/V day, so I made a chicken breast, leek, and shirataki noodle dish.  The sauce was made from soy sauce, lemon, ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon of tahini and 1 teaspoon of cream.  I'm sure the cream/ tahini could be omitted for those who are faithfully low fat and the dish would be almost as delicious. I sprinkled the whole thing with sea vegetable and sesame seeds. 

The shirataki noodles -- made mostly from tofu, with some yam starch -- are very low calorie, low fat, and low carb.  When you open the package there is what is called a "natural aroma."  This means they smell like fish, but after cooking them for a few minutes in the microwave and drying them off, the fish smell disappears entirely.

I'm pretty sure that shirataki noodles will become at least a weekly part of my diet.  Because I was afraid the fish smell would stay around, the dish I made was Asian inspired, but I think they could hold up to Italian inspired treatments as well.   According to a web search, shirataki noodles are an allowed part of the Dukan Diet.  They are expensive -- or far more so than regular pasta -- but they do fulfill that feeling of "need" for a starchy-textured side.

VEGETARIAN DUKAN DISHES



I bought a square non-stick pan because I'd been reading Madhur Jeffrey's World Vegetarian and was inspired to try some of the Japanese square egg dishes.  That book has a surprising number of Dukan friendly or adaptable recipes in it, particularly if you are on the American version of the diet which allows for a great deal of soy foods.   My boyfriend and I decided this diet is making me a better cook.  I think I prosper under restrictions -- or at least my creativity does.  In particular, I like looking for protein-dense vegetarian recipes like the square omelettes.  She also discusses in depth Japanese egg custards, which I've never eaten, but which sound ideal.

HUNGER

This morning I confirmed something.  The best way for me to predict that I will lose weight in the morning is that at night I go to bed hungry.  If I am hungry during the day that is a sign of disaster -- I will overeat out of panic!  But if I am hungry in the evening, and I fight it, I will see a loss on the scale.  Knowing this makes the hunger easier to endure, and what I do is drink a lot of herbal tea and stay distracted.  It is also a good idea for me to stay out of the kitchen, too.  I wish there were a way for me to lose weight without ever having to experience hunger, but even these low carb plans -- with the improved hunger suppressing powers -- don't do it for me.  High fat, low carb doesn't suppress my appetite entirely, and low fat, low carb certainly doesn't.  I think it is just a fact that in order to drop the pounds, I have to feel a little hungry.  The good thing that comes from this is some mental discipline, knowing I can get through it and meet my goals despite the discomfort.

 

4 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog & wanted to say that I can totally relate to what you wrote about hunger -- I'm the same way (although I'm still trying to figure out how to resist the urge to eat late at night)...

    Good luck with the diet -- I've been on it for about a month now, so we're in the same boat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best buy ever! I am 71 and had low expectations of losing the unwanted pounds. Within 6 weeks I had lost 20 pounds and as promised in the book, the weight has stayed off. The book is concise and easy to understand with no measuring or weighing. Just plenty to eat. Have recommended it to my friends who are amazed at my new healthy shape. You are never too old to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea we were allowed nooodles they might just save my life but where can I purchase them in the UK?

    Lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diana Pamela... I got mine in picadilly circus in London..... There is a Japanese shop call Japan centre.... You have to come out of exit 3 through the stairs... And keep walking straight.... It's on the left... They got all kind of shirataki... Pasta, noodle, macaroni, fetticine...

      Delete